Cave Cuniculum...

Latin. Means "beware the rabbit."

Friday, March 16, 2007

Testing...testing...

Yesterday I went on one of the strangest "interviews" I've ever had. I say "interview" because it wasn't actually an interview; it was a software test followed by small-talk as they walked me back out of the building.

I arrived on time, looking very sharp in my suit complete with tie (talk to my wife; she'll tell you that this was an amazing feat in and of itself). I met with with the folks from the staffing place. Engaged in small talk until the office manager showed up. Engaged in small talk with him as he walked me upstairs and through the building to a small cubicle. It was here where I was given the aforementioned software test. Basically, I had forty-five minutes to complete a two-page spread to their specs using InDesign (Adobe's page-layout program. Think QuarkXPress, but better).

Some of you are undoubtedly saying, "only 45 minutes? That's not enough time." You'd be right. However, graphic designers are constantly pushed to produce in short amounts of time. Clients usually want something yesterday, and it's up to us to deliver. Sometimes they'll have a good idea and some specs, and it's not that difficult. Most of the time they'll have no idea what they want and you'll go through several proofs before they finally say "THAT'S the one." So, 45 minutes is pushing it, but fast turnaround projects are definitely the norm in the field.

In case you were wondering, no, I didn't get it done. I got most of it done, but didn't get down to touching everything up before time ran out. I attribute some of it to not knowing the specs of their department and some of it to my not having intimate knowledge of the software. I've used it before, but not extensively. Quark XPress has been the program of choice for the vast majority of places I've worked - not because it's better, but it's what their printer uses or what the boss wanted. So, I'm extremely knowledgeable with Quark but not so much with InDesign. I've learned a lot on my own and I feel mostly comfortable with the software, but there's still some things that I want to get better/faster with. This, unfortunately, will take time.

Back to the test. As I was walking with the office manager back to the lobby, he did say something that made me feel a little better:
"You know, only one person has been able to finish that."

3 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Bela Hedgehog said...

The question that jumps to MY mind is, "Is the person who finished on time ALREADY employed by the company?" In other words: are they your competition?

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Hare said...

Guess I'll find out if/when they call me back for an interview...

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Bela Hedgehog said...

You could call THEM back, and joke with them: "So have you given the job to the person who was able to finish the layout on time?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home