Cave Cuniculum...

Latin. Means "beware the rabbit."

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

We live in [moderately] exciting times

Last night was an exciting one.

My wife and I went grocery shopping - that's not the exciting part, although a pineapple did give me a lewd look. The exciting bit was when we returned home. Normally this is fairly uneventful - park on street; pop the trunk; remove groceries; put groceries in house. Last night, however, went something like this: turn onto street; see cop. Assume cop has pulled someone over; proceed past cop to house. Notice more cops. Count cops. Four. Four cop cars in our neighborhood. It was here that we assumed something was, as they say, up.

My wife took the keys and started to unload the car whilst I walked over to ask one of the officers what was going on. After giving me the emotionless cop-stare, he told me that there was a shooting two blocks over. Two blocks over. Two blocks away from the place I live.

Exciting? Yes. A bit scary? Definately. It's not every day somebody gets shot close to where you live. I'm not worried about the street I live on, but go a street or two over and things start to take a downward turn. Not horrible, but I doubt I'd go walking down those streets alone at night.

It hasn't been confirmed, but my money is on gang activity. There's starting to be a bit more of a presence here; and an unsavory one at that. I don't want to sound cold here, but if you decide to join a gang and get yourself shot or killed, what's the loss? If you can't do something better with your life then to be involved with thugs that promote violence and shoot/kill each other over minor squabbles, then you deserve what you get. Just leave us out of it.

You're not a productive member of society. You're not doing anything to better yourself. Why should I care? You're nothing more than a boil on the ass of society; creating more problems instead of finding ways to solve them.

Like I said, leave us out of it. We've better things to do than to be caught in the crossfire of your stupidity.

2 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a drive by shooting, and two people were shot (but not killed) whilest they were standing on their front porch. There was a tiny blurb about it in the GR press (about the size of this blog) and nothing from our local television station (which as it happens is also about a couple blocks from where the shooting took place.) I told my boss about it, and like a true capitalist, he said "at least none of the local businesses were involved."

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Hare said...

Nice.

So - by his logic - he'd care only if a business was involved?

Well, then. Screw shooting people! The capitalists demand we start shooting at businesses! You, there! The fella with the MAC-10! Don't just stand there; we have to get people to care! Shoot up that TGIFridays!!!

This is precisely why I could never be a capitalist. Your bottom line should never be more important than people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home