Cave Cuniculum...

Latin. Means "beware the rabbit."

Friday, April 07, 2006

Sign of the Apocolypse?

Allow me to direct you to this.

Mac users now have the option to load WindowsXP on their Intel Mac with the next release of OsX (apparently called "Leopard").

Part of this makes a bit of sense. The vast majority - something like 96% - of the market is tailored to Windows users. There's not a lot of software that's tailored to Macintosh, although with the advent of Universal software that's starting to change. However, gamers do lose out because the majority of games are released for PC/Windows. Again, this is starting to change, but slowly. Having two operating systems means that you can effectively "bridge the gap" and purchase whatever software you need without worrying about checking for the platform.

There are drawbacks, though. First, this is only a public Beta - which, I assume, means that Apple is offering it for people to test and report bugs so they can improve it before releasing a "final" version. One can only wonder, though - Windows has many "undocumented features" that are still unresolved. Will this sort of issue plague the Boot Camp software? Will Macs now be susceptible to viruses that were previously limited to PC users? Time will tell, I guess.

I guess I should also say that I'm a Mac user, which means I'm probably a little biased. I have an iBook which I love dearly. It runs smoothly, and has yet to crash; which is amazing considering at one point I had most of Adobe's CS2 programs open and running. However, I've used Windows for three years at my day job. I'm comfortable with both Windows and OsX, but I definately prefer OsX. Why? It's more intuitive, easier to work in, and - here's the most important part - it's more stable. The Windows machine I use at work requires frequent attention and reboots. Programs crash without warning daily; I spent a lot of time re-creating lost data. The iBook? Not once, and I push that little laptop as hard as my work station (if not harder).

What I do find slightly amusing is that the reports I've been hearing say that Windows runs faster on the Mac than it does natively on PC.

*sigh*

Mac and PC becoming one. What's next, Pat Buchanan and Anne Coulter admitting they were wrong?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home